Friday, December 14, 2012

Diana Scherer - nurture studies

Photographer Diana Scherer's Nurture Studies (2010-12) series of photographs reveals the typically hidden side of plants, presenting an archive of flowers grown from seed over a six-month period.
Rather than letting the flowers grow in open soil, she has forced each plant to develop within the confines of a vase. Only at the end of the process does she remove the plant’s corset, exposing roots that retain their shape as an evoc [sic] of the now absent vase...Scherer’s photos are carefully rationed, showing a single moment as the culmination of a long process of growth. She documents the flowers at their peak, just before they begin to shrivel as the plants start to die.
I particularly love the way the root systems for each of these are highlighted by the shape of the vase that each had to conform to. You can read more about this series, and Scherer's work, on her website.




I'm sorry to say that I'll be on vacation all next week, and don't have any posts planned during that time. I'm really looking forward to the time away though, and can't believe that it will already be the end of December when I get back. So, friends, until the 24th, I hope you all have a wonderful week, and I'll see you again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!