Monday, December 19, 2011

Amanda McCavour





Is Amanda McCavour's work not incredible? Her ethereal, impressive installations, all of which are created out of thread, are stunning in both their design and execution. And what a process! As she explains in her artist statement:
In my work, I use a sewing machine to create thread drawings and installations by sewing into a fabric that dissolves in water. This fabric makes it possible for me to build up the thread by sewing repeatedly into my drawn images so that when the fabric is dissolved, the image can hold together without a base. These thread images appear as though they would be easily unraveled and seemingly on the verge of falling apart, despite the works actual raveled strength. 

I am interested in the vulnerability of thread, its ability to unravel, and its strength when it is sewn together.  I am interested in the connections between process and materials and the way that they relate to images and spaces.  Tracing actions and environments through a process of repetition, translation and dissolving, I hope to trace absence.  My work is a process of making as a way of tracing and preserving things that are gone, or slowly falling apart. 
While I love that this work can stand so well on its own, I love knowing how much thought and time went into these. You can see more of Amanda's work on her website.

(Via The Jealous Curator)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!