Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Blog About It

This week's Blog About It has a distinct New York City theme. The blogs Scouting New York and The Makers Project are both just so interesting that they make me appreciate living here all the more.

As a New York City resident, while I like to think that I have a pretty good handle on this town, my knowledge of both the interesting and historical is nothing compared to Nick Carr's, of Scouting New York. As a location scout for films, Nick has been all over the city, and has a knack for finding some truly incredible sites.



As Nick explains of his fascinating blog:
My name is Nick Carr, and for the past four years, I’ve worked as a New York City movie location scout. I’ve been pretty much everywhere, from the highest rooftops to the deepest subway tunnels, from abandoned ruins to zillion-dollar luxury penthouse apartments.


What always amazes me about New York is how much there is to see if you take the time to look. Every street has a hidden gem or two, and yet they go largely ignored by thousands of passersby daily who simply don’t have the time to pay attention.

As it happens, my entire job consists of paying attention, and I’ve started this blog to keep a record of what I see.
-SCOUT
Click on the above photos to read the full Scouting New York posts. All images copyright © 2011 Scouting NY - All Rights Reserved.


For all of the nearly 6 years I've lived in New York City, I've been lucky enough to call the borough of Brooklyn home. Jennifer Causey is also a resident and lover of Brooklyn, and her wonderful photo project, The Makers Project, is her way of showing the many talented people who also live and work in Brooklyn.



While this project is still fairly new, with her keen eye for detail, Jennifer has managed to capture some fantastic Brooklyn-based makers at work, including such diverse artists, designers and entrepreneurs as printmaker Lena Corwin, designer Shabad, food stylists The Jewels of New York, and candy makers Liddabit Sweets. As Jennifer explains:
I am lucky to live in Brooklyn, New York. It’s a place full of energy and creative spirit; located close enough to the lights and frenetic energy of Manhattan to have a big city feel, yet far away enough to give a sense of space and small town community. In this hectic, industrialized modern world, I am constantly seeking handmade and artisan-produced products. I love discovering people who embrace a more tactile way of living, so I decided to start photographing them. When my project began, I knew I was photographing people who make things, but I soon realized I was also photographing people who make things happen. As the project evolves, so does the adventure and pleasure of documenting the people behind the products: to learn what inspires them, what keeps them going, and their thoughts on the city where they live and work.
Click on the images above to view the full series. Courtesy of The Makers Project and Jennifer Causey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!