Thursday, February 28, 2013

Shan Hur

I admit that at first glance, I almost overlooked Shan Hur's sculptures. Although beautiful, his unearthed artifacts and crumbling pillars seemed almost like an afterthought to me, rather than fully realized installations. But that was until I spent some time looking over his portfolio site and was taken with the idea behind these works, particularly the Forgotten and Broken Pillars pieces and their exploration of objects within space. As he explains:
Sculptures bigger than human scale seem to be exaggerated. One of the issues I have focused on is how to reduce the burden of the volume of sculpture. I then connect this mass to its surroundings, but not just as a part of the whole. I think sculpture should communicate with its circumstances. 



See more on Hur's website.

(Via The Design Ark)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!