Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Aakash Nihalani

New York-based Aakash Nihalani's geometric, site-specific installations are absolute marvels. Not only are they unexpected in their placement and design, but the combination of bright colors, optical illusions, and playful quality of the works make you want to look, and then look again.




As Nihalani explains:
I’m not trying to push a certain highbrow logic or philosophy or purposefully communicate through the esoteric medium of art. I work instinctively, trying to follow my gut about the sensation of color and space, and have fun doing it.

People need to understand that how it is isn't how it has to be. My work is created in reaction to what we readily encounter in our lives, sidewalks and doorways, buildings and bricks. I'm just connecting the dots differently to create my own picture. Others need to see that they can create too, connecting their own dots, in their own places.
You can see much more of Nihalani's work, including his fun interactive works and sculptures, on his portfolio website and blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!