Monday, September 26, 2011

roomroom

I don't know why I sometimes get stuck on certain types of design at the expense of others, but it's occurred to me that I haven't posted any architecture on here lately. Of course, I only write about stuff that I'm really excited about, and there hasn't been a whole lot of architecture lately that's fit into that category. But as soon as I saw Takeshi Hosaka Architect's RoomRoom, I knew that it was destined to be blogged about.




RoomRoom is a two storey dwelling in the Itabashi ward of Tokyo that was created for a deaf couple and their children, as an annex to their main house. The design of the structure considers the clients' communication needs through the perforation of the walls, roof and floor with a number of 200 mm squares, which facilitate a way to visually tie the inhabitants together throughout the space. Now, you all probably know by now how much I enjoy architecturally incongruous home additions, but it's both wonderful and refreshing to see a main design feature of an addition that was built with both aesthetic and practical purposes in mind.

(Photos by Koji Fujii / Nacasa&Partners Inc. Via designboom)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!