Monday, March 14, 2011

Andrew Clifford Carpener - designer scrabble


Whenever my sister and I go home to visit our parents, I can always be sure that we will end up playing at least one game of Scrabble. As a family, especially when my dad and brother get involved, we also tend to play a lot of rummy, but as someone who loves words, Scrabble is much more my game. My mom almost always wins, with my sister and I fighting for second place, but regardless of the outcome and the common problem of ending up with either too many or too few vowels, it wouldn't be a family visit without this much loved game. Despite this history and the fact that I've played so many rounds of Scrabble, when I first saw designer Andrew Clifford Carpener's A-1 Scrabble designer edition, I almost didn't recognize the classic game, re-imagined for typography lovers.
 

 


As Carpener explains about the A-1 Scrabble designer edition:
The purpose of this project was to revive an old, but loved game. The idea was to excite people about typography by giving them the ability to choose what font their scrabble set would come in. The set would be available in the font of your choice or with an assorted font pack. Additional font packs (including your favorite font) could be ordered through Scrabble's website. The scrabble board and interior box are made out of solid walnut, and the exterior box is made from birch. Each of the 6 board pieces is magnetized to fit together perfectly and each piece slides nicely into its respective slot in the box and is secured by interior magnets as well. The interior of the exterior box as well as the bottoms of the 6 board pieces are lined with cork, to protect them while in use. 
Isn't it gorgeous? I think I've found the Scrabble set of my dreams.

(Via design milk)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!