Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Rachel Perry Welty

When I first saw the above image, I was convinced it was a painting. A long-lost Klimt, perhaps. Of course, it turns out that I was not even close. It's actually a photograph entitled Lost in my life (fruit stickers), by artist Rachel Perry Welty. Welty has not only created a series of environments from items that she's accumulated, but who has then inserted herself into and photographed the result.

 Lost in my life (Price tags)

 Lost in my life (take-out)

 Lost in my life (bread tags)

Lost in my life (twist ties)

Yes, Welty is making a statement about personal identity, consumerism and spending habits, but she does so in a manner that is as inventive as it is eye catching. Such a stunning use of layered texture, color and patterns.

(Images courtesy of Barbara Krakow Gallery, Boston, Yancey Richardson Gallery, NY and the artist, via Design For Mankind and My Modern Met)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!