Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Life






For many years, my friend Suz would get me an Audubon weekly planner for my birthday, and I loved marveling at a new, beautiful photograph each week. Because I've always been a sucker for nature photography and films, it shouldn't come as a surprise that I'm become totally hooked on the show Life. From the producers of the similarly-breathtaking show Planet Earth, which explored different regions of the world, Life's focus is on the animal kingdom and the wide variety of life contained within it.

These guys have filmed some of the most spectacular nature footage I've ever seen, with my personal favorite so far being the Vogelkop bowerbird, which you can see in the image above. Vogelkop bowerbirds, the interior decorators of the animal kingdom, spend years creating and maintaining their bowers with found flowers, berries, brightly-colored beetles, and even dung if they happen to find it aesthetically pleasing, all in the search to find a mate. They are also able to mimic the most incredible noises, including the sounds of other birds. You can learn more about the bowerbird and other amazing animals on Life, Sundays at 8PM on the Discovery Channel.


(All images courtesy of the Discovery Channel)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!