Thursday, February 25, 2010

peeps show

So I've had all month to think about it, and I finally came up with one good thing about February: Easter candy. I've never really been into Valentine's Day, and the general lack of sunshine and icky winter weather that tends to pervade the month is kind of a downer, but at least I can count on being able to purchase my favorite Cadbury mini chocolate eggs again. Yum. One Easter candy that I've never understood, however, are Peeps. Since when did they expand from just the chick variety to make rabbits as well? I never liked them as a kid and I definitely haven't developed a taste for them since, but I think the problem is that, until now, I never fully grasped the artistic possibilities that Peeps present. Luckily though, The Washington Post has, with their annual Peeps Diorama Contest, going on right now. The contest involves creating a diorama of a famous occurrence or scene that shows a historic, current or future event, with all of the characters played by Peeps. Just think of the possibilities! My friend Jared, who clearly knows me too well, sent this link to me, and I thought I'd share some of my personal favorites from last year:
NightPeeps

Peep Wee Herman's Playhouse

M.C. Escher's "RelativiPeep"

Peeps of Wrath

Nightmare at 20,000 Peeps

You have until March 1 to submit your photos! For more information, see The Washington Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!