Monday, January 11, 2010

beautiful libraries

Abbey Library of St. Gallen, Switzerland
I love libraries. We're not just talking about a little, passing kind of love here, but a great, big, make your dear, good sport of a friend visit the main branch of the New York Public Library on his first ever visit to New York because you thought that it was both a necessary and very cool place to see, kind of love (sorry Jon, but I know you thought it was pretty awesome too). Yes, part of this comes from my love of books. It also has to do with my love of interesting architecture. Put the two together, and I'm a happy girl. While I already knew about the wonders of the aforementioned New York Public Library (really guys, it's awesome), in addition to having spent quite a bit of time in the many public and private libraries around the city, I was both happy to see these images of 20 of the world's most beautiful libraries on Etsy's News From the Craft + Style Blogosphere: January 7, 2009, and completely blown away by both how grand and gorgeous these are. Can you believe that the first image below is from a private library?
Jay Walker's Private Library
Real Gabinete Portugues De Leitura, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
George Peabody Library, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Rijkmuseum Library, Amsterdam

1 comment:

  1. ooh! i love libraries, too. i was lucky enough to visit the top one (in st. gallen) when i was a teenager. (my grandparents were living near the swiss border at the time.)thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!