Thursday, August 13, 2009

perforated house

Ok, so normally, I don't like to do too many posts about the same thing in one week, especially if the content comes from the same place. This time, however, I'm going to make an exception because I absolutely couldn't resist posting these pictures. Meet the Perforated House:

Yeah, I know, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around it as well. This little house was featured on the Desire to Inspire blog yesterday, and I must have spent a good 30 minutes looking at this thing, going back and forth from being totally confused to impressed. Built by Kavellaris Urban Design and a finalist in the 2009 Australian Institute of Architect Awards, this environmentally sustainable family home was created as a way of rethinking the ideas of heritage values and the cultural significance of the built environment. Here's some of what the designers had to say about it:
This once vacant site is nestled at the eastern bookend between a row of single fronted Victorian terraces and a double fronted Edwardian weatherboard house. Our strategy was to critique and respond to our ongoing research into the Terrace typology...By day the building is heavy and reflective and by night inverting into a soft translucent permeable light box. The operable wall or the absence of the facade enabled us to remove the idea that houses are static. The use of operable walls, doors, curtains and glass walls enables the occupants to change the experience and environment. This architectural manipulation of space blurred the boundaries between inside and outside, the public and private realm. The manipulated spaces overlapped and borrowed the amenity and context of it's surrounding environment.

The Perforated House is like no other home I've ever seen, and while I don't think I'd want to live here, I do love the idea of it. Here are some more images:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!