Tuesday, June 16, 2009

vegetables have taken over the refrigerator


Our refrigerator is overflowing with vegetables, thanks to our first shipment from Hearty Roots Community Farm. We signed up for the CSA's (community supported agriculture) half share, every-other-week pickup option, since we couldn't imagine being able to handle a weekly huge shipment of vegetables, which turned out to be a wise choice. We received kale, radishes, green garlic, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, and arugula, and I'm looking forward to the amazing salads that are going to be made during these next two weeks. The only vegetable in the bunch that I wasn't quite sure what to do with was the kale, as it's never been one of my favorites, but our friendly CSA newsletter came up with the awesome suggestion of making kale chips, which went very well with the corn chowder that I also made this weekend. Here's the recipe I used (slightly modified from the original), for anyone who wants to experience the deliciousness for themselves:

  • Preheat the oven to 375
  • Tear kale into bite sized pieces and spread out on a baking sheet that's lined with parchment paper
  • Drizzle kale with 1 T olive oil
  • Sprinkle with 1-2 T Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of sea salt (you can flavor these with any seasonings, really, but the Parmesan was delicious)
  • Bake for 7-10 minutes, until edges are brown and kale is crispy

Considering that this is just the beginning of the season, meaning that this is the least amount of vegetables we'll ever take home with us, I can't wait to see what the next few months will bring. I'm also very excited because our half share of fruit begins in July, and I highly doubt that there could ever be such a thing as too much fruit, a theory that I look forward to testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!