Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I love happy accidents

As it makes me happy, I've slowly been bringing some of my glass work into the office. It is hanging in the window directly next to my desk (that's midtown Manhattan you see in the background).

This piece was a complete mistake. It was supposed to be a bowl, but I put it into the annealer when it was still way too hot, and the sides sort of slumped inwards. I was going to throw it away but Colby, the guy whose studio I work out of, liked the look of it and decided to include it with a batch of fused glass, just to see what would happen. As you can see, the fusing process made the walls of the bowl fall in completely on the sides, flattening the entire thing. I think it came out kind of looking like a sideways eye, which I like, so I just drilled a hole in the top and hung it with some wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments - they mean the world to me!